Andean Lakes Crossing
The best way to cross the Andes! Experience breathtaking unspoilt beauty on this unforgettable tour in which the inspiring majesty of the southern Andes unfolds as you travel from Argentina to Chile via a series of lake cruises.
The tour begins at Puerto Pañuelo, where you board the catamaran and set sail on Nahuel Huapi Lake for an hour-long ride to Puerto Blest. Upon arrival at Puerto Blest, board a bus for a 3 km ride bordering the Frías River to Puerto Alegre. Then, cruise over the peaceful, emerald-green and pristine waters of Lake Frías as you take in magnificent views of Cerro Tronador, hovering approximately 3,500 meters above sea level, and admire the flight of the magnificent Condor. After a 20-minute voyage, reach the small port of Puerto Frías, where you’ll go through departure procedures at Argentina customs before continuing by bus to Peulla, first Chilean town. Along the way, appreciate the lush vegetation of the Cordillera de Los Andes and marvel at Tronador, which has nine glaciers on its summit. Enter Vicente Pérez Rosales National Park, Chile’s first national park, and arrive in Peulla. Once you’ve carried out entry formalities, you'll have free time to have lunch. Later, set sail on Todos los Santos Lake with great views of Osorno Volcano, Tronador and Puntiagudo Hill (if the weather allows)towards Petrohue. Then, continue to your final destination of Puerto Varas by bus, stopping en route for an optional visit to the Petrohué Waterfalls (Saltos de Petrohué). Finally bordering Lake Llanquihue we arrive in Puert Varas.
_From Bariloche (Arg.) to Puerto Varas (Chile)_
8:30 am. Departure from Bariloche hotels and designated locations
Continue by bus to Puerto Pañuelo, bordering lake Nahuel Huapi. On the ride you can enjoy the scenery and admire the beautiful Swiss-style architecture that characterizes the buildings with its gorgeous coloured gardens all the way to Puerto Pañuelo, where we board the catamaran “Gran Victoria"
10.00 am. We sail the crystal clear waters of the Blest branch of Nahuel Huapi Lake for an hour to Puerto Blest. Prepare to be dazzled by the natural environment, the magic of the birds feeding out of your hand and the majesty of the scenery.
11:00 am. Arrival at Puerto Blest, where we take a bus to Puerto Alegre, bordering the Frias river. After a 3 kilometers bus ride along river Frias, we will continue the trip on the “Ciudad de la Fe” boat navigating Lago Frias towards Puerto Frias. With its turquoise colour, surrounded by spectacular natural landmarks like the Mount Tronador (3491 m), Lago Frias provides you with spectacular views!
After 20 minute sail, as the boat docks at Puerto Frías, is where the tour leaves Argentina, crossing into Chile. Here you pass border control, presenting your passport to enter into Chile. After the paperwork you hop on another bus to cross the Patagonian frontier territory, travelling along the oldest track in the region that connects the Argentine and Chilean Patagonia, towards Peulla as we admire the Tronador with its 9 glaciers on the summit.
1:30 pm. We enter the Vicente Pérez Rosales National Park where the beautiful village of Peulla lies, on the foothills of the Andes, by the lake Todos los Santos. Transfer to Peulla Hotel and Natura Patagonia Hotel. Lunch break (lunch not included).
3:00 pm. We head onward across Lago de Todos los Santos to Petrohue, a village that lies at the other side of the lake which can be reached only by boat. If the weather allows, new stunning views of Osorno and Tronador volcanoes and Puntiagudo Hill will surprise us.
4:45 pm. Continue to Puerto Varas. On the way we will visit the Falls of Petrohue (admission fee not included), with its capricious shapes of volcanic rock bathed in green
waterfalls. Continue bordering Lake Llanquihue for breathtaking views of Osorno and Calbuco Volcanoes.
6:30 pm. Arrive in Puerto Varas. You will be transferred to your hotel, where this incredible day of stunning Patagonian sightseeing comes to an end .
Note: schedules are referential and can change due to weather conditions and number of passengers
The transfer picks people by the following meeting points. If you have doubts about the distance with your accommodation you can click on the link to see the closest meeting point to your accommodation
1. [Turisur Office -Mitre St 150](https://www.google.com.ar/maps/place/Mitre+150,+San+Carlos+de+Bariloche,+R%C3%ADo+Negro/@-41.1335854,-71.3096355,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x961a7b725b7ffd55:0xc98942ffe745c76c!8m2!3d-41.1335895!4d-71.3074468)
2. [Hotel Panamericano](https://www.google.com.ar/maps/place/San+Mart%C3%ADn+475,+San+Carlos+de+Bariloche,+R%C3%ADo+Negro/@-41.1323619,-71.3188414,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x961a7b0e9841afd5:0x47319f165199b9a7!8m2!3d-41.1335094!4d-71.3164918)
3. [Hotel Edelweiss](https://www.google.com.ar/maps/place/San+Mart%C3%ADn+%26+Salta,+San+Carlos+de+Bariloche,+R%C3%ADo+Negro/@-41.1343379,-71.3148875,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x961a7b0d10eb1b1f:0xbc3ec7e96683cdd0!8m2!3d-41.1343379!4d-71.3126988)
4. [Hotel Tres Reyes](https://www.google.com.ar/maps/place/Hotel+Tres+Reyes/@-41.1328006,-71.3100741,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x961a7b72535761eb:0x644b8fe5b70e380!8m2!3d-41.1328047!4d-71.3078854)
5. [Hotel Cacique Inacayal](https://www.google.com.ar/maps/place/Hotel+Cacique+Inacayal+-+Lake+Hotel/@-41.1323382,-71.3199133,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x961a7b0ec8cb6531:0xbcf3544b5b20227f!8m2!3d-41.1323423!4d-71.3177246)
6. [KM 2,5 - (Hotels Design - Villa Huinid)](https://www.google.com.ar/maps/place/Av.+Exequiel+Bustillo+2500,+R8402AAX+San+Carlos+de+Bariloche,+R%C3%ADo+Negro/@-41.131784,-71.3393837,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x961a7affa348fe99:0xc0f84677b5536d16!8m2!3d-41.131784!4d-71.337195)
7. [KM 7 - (Hotels Nido el Condor - Rochester - Lirolay](https://www.google.com.ar/maps/place/Av.+Exequiel+Bustillo+7000,+San+Carlos+de+Bariloche,+R%C3%ADo+Negro/@-41.1195411,-71.3888202,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x961a709f669108b9:0x21c4530ac3c07dbd!8m2!3d-41.1195411!4d-71.3866315)
+ Read more
- Spanish/English Speaking Guides
- Food and drinks
- Lodging in Puerto Varas
**Roundtrip promotion:** Do you need to book round-trip? If your return is within 10 days, the value of the return ticket is: NON-RESIDENT FOREIGN PEOPLE 50% of the value of Argentine residents. The prices expressed in dollars but paid in Pesos Argentinos (value of official exchange rate reported by the National Bank at the time of payment)
+ Read more
- **Is Andean Crossing an excursion?** No, the Andean Crossing is an international trip that connects the cities of Bariloche, in Argentina, and Puerto Varas, in Chile. It involves ground transportation and lakes cruising across three Andean lakes, and is a wonderful way to cross the Andes from Argentina to Chile and vice versa and see spectacular scenery. The trip lasts all day long and is a one-way trip.
- **Is it possible to take the trip and return to Bariloche on the same day?** No, it is not possible to go and return on the same day.
- **How do I return to the city from where we depart?** To return to the city from where you left you just book a roundtrip ticket. Take into account that this is a one day tour so remember that you must stay overnight, for at least one night
- **Can I start the Cruce Andino either in Argentina or Chile?**Yes, you can start in either city
- **Do I have to carry on my luggage always with me?** No, you check your luggage at the beginning and claim it at the end of the trip. All of it will have a luggage tag, as with airlines, from the beginning to the end of the route.
- **Do I have to go through Customs?** Yes, after passport control, you need to pass through customs in both Argentina and Chile. To this effect, and to speed up these procedures, you will be asked in advance the required personal details
- **Are lodging and meals included?** No
- **Will I be accompanied by a guide?** Yes, there will be National Park bilingual guides assisting you all the way
- **What documentation do I need to travel?** You need a valid passport, identity card or RUT and, if traveling with minors, unless the child is accompanied by both parents, is required evidence that both parents have given permission for the child to enter/leave the country.
- **Is the transfer from the hotel included? **Only some hotels and meeting points in Bariloche that are informed. In Puerto Varas does not include pick up by hotels. If you have doubts regarding your Hotel please consult us!
- **What is the best time of the year to make the Andean Crossing?** While the Andean Crossing is done throughout the year, the season with highest demand is from November to April.
- **Is it possible to do an overnight trip? **Yes, in summer you have the possibility to make the trip and stay for the night in Peulla (Chile), where there are 2 hotels - the Peulla 3 and Natura 4 - The cost of the trip is the same and the accommodation is NOT included in the price.
- **Can I take the Andean Crossing trip one way and return by bus?** Yes, there are excellent bus services for about 70 dollars to come back. If you choose to do this, you may also issue the bus ticket with us.
- **If I am in Bariloche and don't have enough time for the Andean Crossing do I have a similar option that leaves and comes back in the day?** Yes, you can make the trip to Puerto Blest and Laguna Frias. It will take you up to the Chilean border and then return to Bariloche, so you will be doing the Argentina part of the Cruce Andino. This tour departs every day!